ICGSA Conference 2022
Africa and Gender Studies: Celebrating 30 Years of Transformation & Reimagining the Future
Conference Logistics and Guidelines to Paper Presenters:
- This conference, organized by the School of Women and Gender Studies brings together 492 participants from 33 countries. It is open to Scholars, Researchers, Policy Makers and Activists working in the field of Genders and Gender Studies in Africa. The Conference: a) Brings together different Gender units in Africa to share experiences of teaching and researching in Women and Gender Studies in Africa; b) Examines the contribution of Women and Gender Studies to Africa’s development; c) Examines how crises such as war, HIV, COVID19 and neoliberalism have shaped the teaching of Gender studies in the academy; d) Assesses the link between Women’s organising/activism in Africa and the subject of Gender studies in the African Academy; and e) Repositions Women and Gender Studies in Africa for the future
- Makerere University is generously hosting the event at its Central Teaching Facility 2 (CTF2) and providing all the on-site logistical support. This includes transport from the hotel to the conference venue, lunch and snacks to all registered participants.
- Conference participants are self-sponsoring, paying for their own travel, accommodation and upkeep. The conference will not provide per diems.
- Travelling participants are encouraged to reserve accommodation at recommended hotels as displayed here on the conference website.
- Travelling participants are encouraged to notify the conference organisers if they need assistance for booking hotels and if they will need transport pickups from the hotel to the conference venue. Accommodation at recommended hotels as displayed on the conference website (https://icgsa.mak.ac.ug/).
- Due to reduction of COVID19 prevalence in Uganda, you will not be required to undergo COVID19 testing on arrival. Just ensure you have a valid COVID19 test from your country of travel before setting off.
- Presentations will take the shape of keynote speeches, plenary discussions, parallel sessions and exhibitions.
- Some presenters will present virtually while others will be physically present at the conference venue.
- Lunch, morning and evening break teas will be provided at the slated times at the conference venue (CTF2)
- Participants are expected to register online at https://icgsa.mak.ac.ug/. Please let the conference secretariat know of any challenges you may have regarding registration.
- Travelling participants are encouraged to secure their own health/travel insurance.
- Participants will be provided with name tags and conference stationery starting from 8 am on Wednesday 23rd February 2022.
- Participants interested in a cultural even will be required to indicate so on the first day of the conference to enable the conference organizers plan for any.
- Conference abstracts for papers/panels to be presented have been shared in the Book of Abstracts found on the conference website (https://icgsa.mak.ac.ug/).
- Keynote Paper presenters have 45 minutes to do their presentation. At the end of the presentation, the Chair has 5 minutes to comment on the presentation. There will be no questions or comments from the audience.
- Plenary Paper presenters have 15 minutes each to present their papers. At the end of the presentations, there will be 30 minutes of general discussion.
- Presentations at the Parallel Sessions are to be done in 12 minutes. These will be followed with 30 minutes of general discussion.
- A Zoom link will be provided for all conference Sessions
- Session Chairs will be required to advertise their sessions, including enabling people to register for them in advance.
- Each session will be covered by a rapporteur, who will be responsible for recording the proceedings of the event.
- Participants are encouraged to keep checking on the conference website (https://icgsa.mak.ac.ug/) for any updates.
- The conference organisers wish all participants a great conference experience and an enjoyable stay in Kampala.
- Assoc. Prof. Sarah N. Ssali (Dean) – Email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mobile (+256772663772)
- Assoc. Prof. Consolata Kabonesa (Convener) – Email (email@example.com), Mobile +256772512455
- Dr. Victoria Namugala – Email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mobile (+256782458559)
- Dr. Anne Ninsiima – Email (email@example.com), Mobile (+256772382590)
- Ms. Salama Nakiranda – Email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mobile (+256700436943)
- Ms. Donna Keirungi – Email (email@example.com), Mobile (+256772879364)
- Dr. Fred Kindi – Email (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mobile (0781430039)