Professor Bantebya Kyomuhendo Grace
Grace Bantebya-Kyomuhendo is a Professor of Women and Gender Studies in the School of Women and Gender Studies Makerere University . She is a distinguished Social Anthropologist and an experienced trainer/lecturer, researcher and advocate for gender equality and social transformation. Grace has done extensive research in poverty and social exclusion , gender poverty and social transformation, Reproductive Health, in particular maternal health, HIV/AIDs in conflict situation, Girls and women’s empowerment and social justices , social norms and institutions impact on girls capabilities. She has also researched on women and ICT and Gender and climate change. She has published widely, most recent being a books entitled , Poverty and Shame : Global Perspectives 2014 ; “Women, Work and Domestic Virtue in Uganda” which got an award from African Studies Association. Grace has been consultant on numerous projects and assignment with the most recent (2014) developing a National Child Marriage Strategy for Uganda government supported by UNICEF.
Grace is a member of a number of international scientific boards with the most recent being
- Member of Board of Management Economic Policy Research Center ( EPRC)
- Member of the Certification and Accreditation Committee for Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) Geneva
- Member African Union Scientific Committee of African Integration and Development Review Board
- Member Editorial Board: Uganda Management Institute Journal
- Member Editorial Board: Agenda – Feminist Journal based in South Africa
- Member Editorial Board of a feminist journal based in the UK, Women’s International Forum.
- Member Board of Trustees: Network of Ugandan Researchers and Research Users
Gender and reproductive health, poverty and social exclusion, girls and women’s empowerment , social institutions and norms, child rights and empowerment , leadership and gender justice
Grace has mostly worked in Uganda but with engaged in multi country studies involving a number of countries , Ethiopia Kenya , Tanzania , Rwanda , Nepal, Vietnam , Norway , United Kingdom , India , China
English (competent) Swahili (Basic) Nyoro and other bantu languages (competent)